Project Owner: Tata Steel Ltd
Location: Jamshedpur (Jharkhand)
Architect: M/s Espace Consultants (Kolkata)
Structural Designer: M/s PM Consultant
Material Used: Tata Structura Circular Hollow Sections (Yst 355)
Sections used: 200 mm OD with 6mm thickness and 125mm OD with 5.4 mm thickness
Height of the structure: 10.703m
Total Tonnage: 30 MT
Fabrication & Erection: M/s Sagar Business Private Ltd
Civil Work: M/s Bhagwat Engineering
Tata Steel Ltd (Corporate Services Division) wanted to make some iconic gate structure at the entry of Tata Steel plant Jamshedpur. Being a prime location, It was a huge responsibility to imagine a structure which can justify the importance of this project at this location.
For the same reason, Various architects and designers from Kolkata were approached and they submitted various concepts and designs. From those submissions and after various revisions, designs given by M/s Espace Consultants (Kolkata) was approved by Vice President (Corporate Services) and Chief (Corporate Services).
Being a very complex structure to fabricate and required precise profile cutting, it required high quality fabrication. M/s Sagar Business, (BDP, Tata Structura) did the fabrication and erection work.
Challenges in this project:
1) 360-degree manual profile cutting of sections
2) Due to very large size of the fabricated structure, handling & shifting of fabricated material to erection site became very difficult
3) Bending was difficult because the entire structure is not in the same plane & 3-D bending was being done
4) Assembling challenges because of complexity
5) Fabrication difficulty because of manual operation
Learnings from this project:
1) Plasma based Profile Cutting was required for such complex profile cutting and fabrication projects.
2) By using tubular sections, various innovative structures can be constructed which is not possible with conventional angles/channels
3D model for ITS gate project
Pictures post erections